Sunday, July 5, 2009

Chicken Soup for the Tobler Soul

-- This one is for the girls. It definitely made me giggle, Jakob not so much.

The Good Napkins

My mother taught me to read when I was four years old (her first mistake). One day, I was in the bathroom and noticed one of the cabinet doors was ajar. I read the box in the cabinet. Then I asked my mother why she was keeping 'napkins' in the bathroom. Didn't they belong in the kitchen? Not wanting to burden me with such unnecessary facts, she told me that those were for special 'special occasions' (her second mistake).

Now fast forward a few months. It is Thanksgiving day, and my parents were leaving to pick up my Aunt and Uncle for dinner. Mom had assignments for us all while she was away and mine was to set the table. When they returned, my Uncle came in fist and burst into laughter. Next came my Aunt who gasped, the began giggling. Next came my father who roared with laughter. And last came my Mom, who almost died of embarrassment when she saw each place setting with a 'special napkin', with a fork carefully arranged on top. I had even tucked in the tails so they didn't hang off the edge. My mother asked me why I had used these and, of course, my answer sent the other adults into further fits of laughter. "But. Mom, you SAID these were for special occasions!!"

1 comment:

The Mom Tobler said...

Great story...I really related. When I was about 6 years old my mom asked me to get more napkins from the upstairs closet where we stored extra paper goods. I ran up and grabbed a bag that had napkins printed on it. I got halfway down the stairs and a little voice in my head said those are not the right napkins. So I went back looked farther until I found the napkins I recognized. We also had company at the time so I'm glad I listened to that little voice.