Saturday, September 19, 2009

SQUIRREL!

Over the past year, Mom Tobler has proved time and time again that the more patient you are the better deal you will find. In Canada I was never a real hunter. I would figure out what I wanted, go to the store find it, buy it, and throw a few other things in the cart while I'm at it, regardless the cost. Marriage, however changes a few things including my spending habits. I have since learned of a thing called "The Hunt." I have learned to shop fliers, look on Craigs List and (my favorite) garage sale. On Saturday mornings we are up (the earlier the better) and searching for garage sales. It amazes me what people are willing to sell and Mom Tobler has a gift for bartering. We get such a thrill when driving down the road and suddenly one of us yells "Squirrel" (click here to see UP movie trailer for details). It is such a rewarding feeling laying out our purchases for the day on the island to take count of our findings. I am a convert! This is my conversion story.

About a month ago Mom Tobler found these beautiful bookshelves for $25 a piece. I absolutely adore them! The beginning of something wonderful. Not two weeks later we stumbled across a BEAUTIFUL dark wood bar stool table. It was a set for 4 and the square tabled had a lief in it to seat 6. It was far cheaper than the one Jakob and I had gotten 3 weeks prior. I love our table but a little extra room for guests would have been perfect. Further proof that patience pays off.

Donations are also ALWAYS appreciated. Our coffee table has been made into an entertainment center until we find one we like.

This lamp has a leather lamp shade and is very sturdy. We have needed a floor lamp for quite some time. We got this beauty for $10.

The Joy of the day! A brand new printer, fax & scanner. Jakob and I were planning on saving up for a printer but today we made a friend who was starting his own business and needed a faster printer. We got this baby for $10! We are thrilled!

Our little home has it's fair share of secondhand items and each one has a story. It's always funny to have friends come over and ask where we got some of our things. It's even funner to tell them the story behind each one of them! I am a convert and I can't wait till next weeks hunt!

1 comment:

Janet said...

Great finds! Wish I had Mom Tobler around to help with the bargaining!