Monday, August 9, 2010

I'm Bringing the 50's Back


... well the late 50's early 60's. For a long time now I have wanted to sew something more than P.J. pants and quilts, I have wanted to make a dress. My mission: Find a pattern that doesn't need to be altered to become modest. I had my work cut out for me boy. Over the past 2 years I have progressively become cheaper and cheaper so naturally I went to Wal-Mart and started my search in the 1.99 pattern bin. I found a cute dress but I had to add sleeves. "No problem" I thought, "My mother-in-law is a seamstress". Little did I know how much work it took to just "whip" something up. I learned a lot along the way and over the course of two days and with a lot of help from dear Mom Tobler I am now the proud owner of a modest yet fabulously classy dress.

I didn't take a single picture of me sewing. At the time I was putting in my very first zipper is when Mom T started to click photos. In the above photo you can see the frustration in my face... I abhor doing hems. I ALWAYS end up rolling them. Clearly this is something that comes with patience and practice and at 10:00 p.m. on day two I had neither. After 4 1/2 hours of struggling with the sleeves I let Mom Tobler take the reins. She really is a super seamstress.

Haza! Here is the final product! I will probably wear it every day for the next week. I've already planned my next one but I have some skirts to alter a bit first. More 50's style and even better yet.. once upon a time they belong to my grandmother. Oh I'm getting sidetracked again.. back to my dress.

I love...

... love...

...LOVE it!! I had to throw this picture in just because I think it is adorable and even though you can't really tell... I'm wearing red shoes. I can't wait for my next dress! I think I've started something I cannot contain!

5 comments:

Alexis said...

You are so talented. That is such a cute dress and it fits right in that last picture of yours. Love it too!

Rach and Clark said...

very cute! In the future can I borrow this pattern? No worries, I'll find different fabric! I've always wanted to start making my own dresses and Mom Tobler said she would help me out. It is hard to find patterns with sleeves...a website I found lets you customize dresses but I can't see spending $60-80 every time I want a new dress. Awesome website though: www.eshakti.com

Keri-Ann said...

Oh Steph, well done! I love the photos, especially the last one! *hugs*

Kayla Ann said...

Steph I LOVE THE DRESS!!!! so cute!! seriouslty you are my idol! I have 2 skirts a dress and 6 chairs on the go.... I have all the fabric to make /recover them and the dress is pretty much complete....however I struggle to find time to do any of it :( so it sits and waits. ssoooo sad. Anyway I should have been studying for the past few hours but I have been attempting to make a cute blog........and its impossible its kinda coming along but I dont like it so its gotta change.....so more than likely untill you and I can get together or even get on skype or something and you can teach me the ways I will not be blogging just yet.......but done get discouraged it will come hahaha <3<3<3<3 love ya

Unknown said...

That dress is so cute! I really like the pattern you chose. Seriously soooooooo cute!