Monday, January 23, 2017

Duke's Tea Party

 Duke has always been this strong silent type of kid who loves to play with you but just isn't exactly sure how to do it. He loves to do what you are doing but initiating play is where he struggles. Because of his apraxia and speech delay a lot of the "pretend play" got delayed a bit. He is working on playing and cause and effect things at school and when he ivited me to have "unch" (lunch) with him I was so excited! 

 He started by using the oven mitt to get the pizza out. 

Then he set up the tea set, matching the plates and naming the purple and yellow after Mama's example but did "pink" all on his own. 

He then sat down and poured the tea and shared the pizza! Then he put the pizza back and got out some other foods and we worked on saying those names. He was very interested and had no problem repeating after me with approximations after my example.

Then when he was done he decided to clean up and wash the dishes. And while I know that most of you are reading this and saying, really lady? My kid has been doing that since they were one. I know. But this was huge for Duke and it was such a wonderful reminder to me that I  really need to have more one on one time with my little man!! I am so proud of him and how far he has come in such a short period of time!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I get this! Skarlette just recently is starting to initiate play also! It is sometimes a nice reminder just how special they really are ;)