Can you believe it?! The last day of school! I was overly emotional about Duke leaving this preschool program.
I truly believe that this program is one of the reasons why that we ended up here in Kansas. This program saved us. When we first moved to KC Duke was 2 and he wasn't talking at all. At 2 1/2 we got him into the beginning of this speech program. By 3 he was starting to say repetitive sounds like Ma-ma-ma and ba-ba-ba and that was it. He did a short stint of speech therapy at the elementary school E goes too and we quickly realized that wasn't enough which is when Duke was transferred into this program. He was trapped and frustrated, knowing what he wanted to say but being unable to say it. Duke has thrived here, he has grown so much both emotionally and with his speech. He works so hard every single day and I couldn't be more proud of him. He is talking. He is understood. He sings songs, he plays, he pretends and he is happy.
(Duke and Ms. Lisa) His teachers were incredible. They looked at Duke and pushed him and held his hand to help him grow. The best part about it was he was loved and not only did I know he but HE knew it and it made all the difference. Ms. Lisa and I sat in the parking lot and just cried together. She said she wasn't supposed to have favorites, but she couldn't help it. My eyes filled with tears just full of gratitude and love. I am in awe of these teachers who come to work each day excited full of patience, compassion and joy. I am going to miss this program and I am so thankful for it.
E's last day of school was the following day and they had a celebration. We made Ms. Schulteis a candy gram.
Ms. Schulteis was the perfect teacher for E. E is talented, quick, witty and stubborn. Ms. S was a no nonsense teacher and both she and E just clicked. E would be silly and they would laugh, but she would also rein her in. E picked up reading at a alarmingly quick rate. Ms. Schulties picked up on it and pushed her and E is reading above her grade level. she tested in the 97% percentile. (GO E!!) E also struggled in math, but together they worked on her numbers and simple addition and E never felt shamed, or slow. i am just so greatful for wonderful teachers!
I can hardly believe she is finished Kindergarten.
And just like that summer has begun. Aunt Janet will be here tonight!! Ready to kick things off right!!








No comments:
Post a Comment