Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Trashed Treasures

I was talking to my G-ma today and she was telling me how a lady from Calgary Waste Management phoned and asked her about our garbage experience. They had wanted to put it in the paper. For those that don't know, that is 3 hours south of Edmonton. I have no idea how they found out, or why they are still talking about this (even though it is pretty rad!) since it all happened back in July. For those that are also very confused at this point, these are the events that took place.

WARNING LONG STORY!

Back in July the day after the reception, Jakob, Duke Jessica and I were coming home from our gift opening rather late. I had thrown my clothes for the next day, car keys, digital camera, and the disposable cameras from the reception into a garbage bag to take to G-ma's where we were all staying. When we got home I set the bag all tied up on the steps and went downstairs where we watched a movie. We finally went to bed around 3 and while going up the stairs I tripped over the bag. I should have picked it up then but I left it for the following morning.
.
I have never been an early riser and after a crazy weekend Monday morning was no exception. I got up at 11:00. I went into the hallway to pick up my bag so I could change to my surprise, there was no bag. Big shocker there. G-pa had thought that it was garbage and took it outside with all of our wedding pictures in it. I raced around trying to find him only to realize that the trash had already been picked up by the city. At this point I was devastated! I had just lost my new camera, the keys to the car, and all 6 disposable cameras. Needless to say I didn't want to talk to anybody. My G-ma is a champion though, she phoned the Waste Management (WM) manager and asked if we could go hunting for my bag. Jakob and I had been prepared to claim defeat, it was gone and I was okay with that. I didn't want to get my hopes up. So G-ma threw us in the car, grabbed a pitch fork and we drove to the dump. The truck was supposed to pick up the trash at around 9:15 a.m. and is dumped every two hours, it was 1:00 now and they compact the truck so they can fit up to 8 tons of garbage in them. If he had dumped it would be under 80 tons of garbage or more from just that part of Saint Albert. AKA not very good odds. The man driving the truck wasn't answering his phone so we couldn't tell what he had done. And if it was a white truck then we would have lost it for sure. My Saint of a g-ma phone up the G-pa to ask what color the truck was. Of course he didn't know, (do you know what color your garbage truck is?) So he went knocking on doors to see if he could find out. I am truly blessed to have so many people love and care about me enough to go to all of this trouble to find a silly bag. Seriously how many people would go knocking on their neighbors doors asking what color the truck is or drive to the dump to find a lost bag? I'm blessed I tell you. Anyways they said they would phone us when they had more info.
.
At this moment I said a prayer. I know most people are thinking, no Steph don't get religious on us, but I did. My answer was patience. Seriously, that is one of the many things that I do NOT have. But I said okay. We went home and were there no longer than 20 minutes when the phone ran. Yes epic! Everyone had given up accept for G-ma, bless her soul. They told us that they had found the truck, but he had not dumped yet, a miracle in itself because he should had dumped twice by now. They had isolated the truck and had him dump it on a concrete pad. So we drove there ready to look through 8 tons of garbage. On our way up the hill to the site we could hear 4 men over the radio saying that they were going to come help us look & they already had 5 guys looking. Their compassion was amazing. So we start hunting. They knew about which part of the pile our stuff would have been on so it was game on. It smelt SO bad! If you want to know awkward, you should sift through peoples trash! It's amazing the things you will find!
.
We were only hunting for about ten minutes when a guy called he had a winner just when 4 totally intact cameras fell out. Jakob said that was it and nothing was broken or crushed. It was a miracle! I was SOOOOO HAPPY! Fist pump for praying! The manager took a picture because he said that it was impossible. I know dramatic right?


G-ma, knight in shining armor, Myself and Jessica


Our Hero that found our bag!


Jakob and I

Anyways, the lady speaking to G-ma said that it was impossible and she couldn't believe our luck. It's very rare that anything good happens when it comes to recovering things, never mind small things like cameras and clothing which should have gotten squished. It was a happy day and I'm looking forward to seeing if it gets published in the paper. THANK YOU WASTE MANAGEMENT!! These men are far more than they are made out to be! I tip my hat to you!

2 comments:

Janet said...

What a story!! Glad you could get your things back!

dougw said...

I LOVE it that you got religous!