I have seen the light!!! Let's be honest with one another. Spending $20 for the Tide detergent isn't what I call cheap. Mom Tobler found this recipe for homemade laundry detergent and I was sold! You can make the liquid or a powder & it makes 10 gallons!!
1. Place bar of soap in large Ziploc bag and hammer down into small pieces. It's best to do this on the concrete :)
2. Put soap crumbs in blender and add Washing Soda & Borax. Blend to mix together.
Tada!!! According to the recipe use 1 - 2 tbsp per load. This makes enough for 40 loads. Mom Tobler has found however that this can sometimes leave a bit of soap residue in the washing machine. The best thing she's found to avoid that is to add 1 tbsp of regular detergent to every load.
To make the liquid version:
1 bar Fels-Naptha Soap
1 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
4 cups Hot tap water
1 bar Fels-Naptha Soap
1 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
4 cups Hot tap water
1. Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium heat until soap has dissolved & is melted.
2. Fill a five gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, soda and Borax. Stir until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
3. Stir and fill a clean used soap dispenser half full with mixture and fill the rest of the way with water. Shake before each use. (Will Gel)
4. Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap had cooled. Ideas: Rosemary, tea tree oil.
Yield Makes Ten Gallons

3 comments:
I also have a good recipe for this detergent as well, basically the same too. Haven't done it yet, I don't own a blender, but have wanted to try it.
STEPH! I just looked up how to make home made detergent today!! How funny. I think you should come over and help me one day soon! I want to do the liquid one!
Well tell me the day! I shall be there!
Post a Comment