
For those of you who follow both myself and
Mom Tobler's blog this will be a repeat (
times two). Every Thursday we get together and hike at Red Rock. Two weeks ago, we decided to hike Keystone Thrust, what was noted to be most significant geological feature in the Red Rock Canyon. We're always up for taking pictures of something significant. So off we went, figuring the river bed was the beginning of the trail. When looking at the picture the trail looks so obvious. Don't ask me what went wrong, we both have
short term memory issues.

After hiking along the river bed for quite some time, we began to think we were slightly off course. Even though we were enjoying the scenic riverbed we figured we should find the trail we saw people walking on.

After hiking for an hour and a half we ran into some other hikers and asked them if we were getting close. They asked us where we were going. I silently judged them, what a stupid question.
HEELLLLO we're on the only trail, where do you think we're going? It was then we realized we were hiking the White Rock loop and that we were about half way around. Oops. So we decided to turn around and hike Keystone thrust the following week.

Last week we were determined not to get lost. After all this was the
most significant geological feature in the Canyon. It must be good! Once again the adventure began.

I still have cell phone service and we just pasted a marker, so far so good!

Here is some evidence that I don't secretly higher a photographer to follow me around and just call her "Mom Tobler." She really is there. Isn't she just darling! We were expecting something impressive, perhaps with a plaque informing us we had arrived at the Keystone and we should take in all of its wonder and beauty. But alas, nothing, so on we hiked.

In my opinion this "
Flintstone" house was the most impressive thing on this hike. Someone took a lot of time to create this and boy it made me smile. Once again further proof I was not alone on this adventure. Most of the time I take pictures of Mom Tobler taking pictures. (
Note the camera in her lap)

At this point we had lost the hikers that we were closely following. I suppose they knew what they were looking for and had turned around. No, not us, the trail continued and we were still convinced there would be a sign saying stop here.

Yes, you guessed it, we got lost. Exploring
is my favorite part, after all, we couldn't get all the way here and come to find we missed it. Perhaps the Keystone was on the other side of that ledge?...... So down I went. Of course I went straight down, which resulted in me rolling into a cactus, (
ouch) Mom Tobler is a little more cautious in her approach. See her all the way up there?

Lost, confused and slightly disappointed we decided it was time to return home. After all I had a clown dress to finish. Once again I headed straight up the face. I could tell Mom wasn't all the excited about my method, but she followed figuring if we're going to be lost we had better be lost together. Oh, how I love her!

Needless to say we have getting lost down to an art. Below is the actual "
geological feature" Don't get me wrong, It's pretty but I was expecting a natural arch or something. I suppose it must be impressive because I took a picture of it.

I love our new tradition! It's starting to get warm here in Vegas (
finally). I am loving the warm sunshine, and hiking is the perfect way to soak it up! Soon we'll have to head up to Mount Charleston too keep cool. Happy Thursday everyone!

No comments:
Post a Comment