Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Awkward!

While at the NYE party at the Wynn, several people came up and asked me if I was really pregnant or if it was just part of my costume. I can't think of anyone off of the top of my head who would dress up as an 8 month pregnant clown for the fun of it but perhaps that is just me. Everyone wanted to touch my belly which is nothing new. I'm used to feeling like Buda. The funniest part was this little girl who was watching me. She couldn't have been more than 6. Some girl pointed at my belly and asked if I was having a boy or a girl. I told her we were having a girl. The first girl with wide curious eyes asked again; "Is that a baby?" while pointing at my bulging belly. I smiled and said yes. Her expression turned from confusion to terror in seconds. "YOU ATE YOUR BABY!!!?" I reassured her that no I had not eaten my baby that it was growing and then she asked me with judging eyes still believing I had consumed my child "Then how did it get in there?!"

I mean what do you say to that?? Do you start the birds and the bee's talk?? Do you walk away as quickly as possible?? I was at a loss. It took a second to compose myself. I just smiled and told her that the baby needed to grow inside of me to get healthy and I quickly moved onto another task because she was realizing I hadn't answered her question. Oh to see the world from a child's perspective!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That story is so funny! Oh to think like a child.

Janet said...

I would have probably run away as fast as possible.