Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Instant Pot Yogurt

After some discussion with Mom Tobler about what I wanted for Mother's Day I decided to pull the trigger on the Instant Pot. So glad I did! It is pretty dang amazing. I was also super glad I decided to get it while Mom was here so she could figure it out for me. I was a bit intimidated. One of the main things I wanted to try was yogurt. My kids go through SO MUCH yogurt. We easy cruise through the big 24 count Greek yogurts in a week. And as you know Greek yogurt is SPENDY! I had seen a few friends had gotten the Instant Pot and they were all about the yogurt feature. So we tried it. 

We followed this tutorial and we were super pleased with the outcome. All you need is whole milk and 1-2 tbsp of plain yogurt (depending on if you are making a whole or half gallon of yogurt) as a start. I purchased a high quality Greek yogurt as my start and then froze in into 2 tbs portions for future use. Once you make yogurt once you can use the yogurt you made as a starter as well. Once you boil the milk, the cool it, and add the starter you let it sit in the pot on the yogurt mode for 8 hours.

After 8 hours it looks like this. Then without stirring it, we covered it and placed it in the fridge to set up for another 6 hours.

 6 hours later....
Yogurt and sooooo creamy!

At this point we could have simply left it and just had yogurt, but we wanted greek yogurt, so we strained it fro another 6 hours, letting all of the Whey drip off. The whey was then used in smoothies and Mom made some bread with it!!

After 6 hours... it was done! So thick!!! 

After it's done straining it is plain Greek yogurt. Which you can do whatever you want with. We like to add a bit of sugar and frozen fruit, or vanilla. If you make vanilla it tastes almost like whipped cream. The best part about all of this is it's high in protein, you can make it into what ever flavor you like, you can control how much sugar you add, AND it only costs you a gallon of milk!!!!!! I will never buy yogurt again. I've made it a few time since then and even given some to friends and everyone rants and raves about it! And even better yet the kids LOVE it! Can you tell how thrilled I am?! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm craving some yogurt!

No comments: