Friday, November 26, 2010

Old Friends

There is a small part of me that cries when I throw away things away. Alright large part of me. I have a tendency of holding onto things either because I think that their nice (or could be nice in the future) or I might have a use for them in the future (usually the latter). Growing up, my mother threw away everything! At times she would have to repurchase things because she'd simply toss them in the trash with no sense of remorse. She has a firm "no clutter" policy. Clutter = trash in her mind and I must say because of this we grew up in a very clean and organized home. I remember being frustrated one day because she had thrown away a pair of my favorite jeans that were riddled with holes. As a result, I packed up a box of things I knew were at high risk of ending up in the dumpster and toted it over to my Grandmothers for safe keeping. These were the beginning of my hoarding days. I admit it I am a hoarder!! I would have to say I'm am organized hoarder however. If things are cluttered I get stressed, which is part of my dear mother showing through for which I am grateful. Everything must have a place for quick and easy access, but instead if throwing things away that are out of place I find a place for them. Which brings me to my dear slippers.

These slippers were well worn and falling apart and even though I no longer wore them, they had some sort of sentimental value to me. I love the ugly things! They have kept my tootsies warm for the past 6 years! After starring at them for two days I decided to throw them in the trash. I felt a sense of relief as first, accomplishment even, which was quickly replaced with the urge to race to the trash can and place them back into the safety of my closet. I promptly asked Jakob to take the bag to the dumpster so they would be out of sight, out of mind. I am proud of myself, even if this seems utterly ridiculous to most people it was an accomplishment in my minds eye. It is now time to conquer my closet. I still have clothing from when I was 12. Ridiculous. I know but a one bedroom apartment provides no room for "extras". The goal: narrow my 39 pairs of jeans down to 6. I'm almost positive I'm going to cry!

No comments: