One of the most frustrating things I found when I was researching other peoples quiet books was that they didn't include a lot of the details just the pages. A quiet book is much more than just simply the pages so here is some information about the structure.
I made each finished page 10x10, which now looking back is too small. I would recommend going 11x11 or even 12x12. While mine works it would have been nice to have a little more room to play with. I felt that some pages (the Nativity & Ammon) were a little scrunched on there. I cut each page at 11x11 and gave myself a 1/2" seam allowance.
To make my pages stiff I lined each one with extra heavy interfacing. Just remember to match your bobbin thread to the page on the back!
There are several ways for one to finish the edges. I thought the funnest way would be with Ric Rac. It was quick and simple and I think it looks amazing but I may be a little biased.
I then edge stitched around each page to keep it nice a crisp.
I wanted to add grommets so I could add or take out pages as I saw fit. I really do not think our child will need to have an 18 page quiet book to play with at church. Some of the pages are a little old for her as well so I wanted to have the option of leaving them at home. This also helps keep the book fun and new by not including the same pages every week.
I made a case for my book as well. I wanted to keep it safe and with all of the detachable parts I didn't want any of the pieces to get lost in transportation. I am thinking about adding a handle but for now, this is good :).
As you can see all of the seams are in cased. This took a little bit of mental labor on Mom Toblers part (thanks Mom!!!). I didn't want any raw edges showing and this way I really think it looks finished.
I added a zipper to, like I said, keep everything together. After spending countless hours on something like this I may be a little over protective. Really I think this thing belongs behind glass on display. ;)
I used sports zippers so they could come undone and the book can lay nice and flat on the kids laps.
My favorite feature... the zipper pocket. Like I said in a few of my page posts, lots of the pieces are hidden in here. They added too much bulk on the page and this extra large pocket is the perfect place to keep everything nice and flat and easily accessible for those tiny hands.

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
10 comments:
This is exactly how I envisioned making the actual outside of the book. I need more info on how to make it. How you did the nice unseen edges inside, how you did the corners, etc. Can you send me any hints? I can send you my e-mail address but please delete it after you look at it, whether or not you can help me out with any of the details on the book. Thanks in advance!
We made the edges first by putt on the zipper. Then we stitched them to the book and flipped it right side out via zipper pocket. The corners are just rounded and sewn in one line. I then top stitched it all to help hold the shape. It takes a lot of mental work, pinning and flipping to get it all situated correctly. I hope this helps. I should have photographed the process.
You said a super stiff interfacing. Did you add like an iron on interfacing to the back of each side or just a piece of interfacing the middle of the front and back? Was the interfacing like the thicker soft interfacing or the thinner more paper like but stiff interfacing? Thanks! Your book is amazing!
Hello Cristy, For this quiet book I used a non iron interfacing. I bought the wrong one accidentally. I based it to the page and then I removed the visible stitching after sewing it all together. For the quiet book I am currently working one I used a heavy weight fusible interfacing. MUCH simpler!!
Thanks! So if you use a fusible interfacing did you put on interfacing on the back of each page so there are two layers in the middle or just one layer of interfacing between each side in the middle of the page? Hope that makes sense...
I did one on the back of each page so two total when sewn together.
So, you used regular fabric? and then the details are done in felt etc?
Yes Love Bug Momma, For the most part the pages are done in cotton. I wish I would have made a few more things like my waves for "Peter Fishing" out of cotton as well as the felt is starting to pill. Cotton is just more durable Than felt. So I would recommend doing as much as possible page wise in cotton.
Love these books and am thinking of launching into making one, I love the ric rac edging. Did you hem each page before adding the details and then sew 2 pages back to back with the ric rac I between? Thanks
Brightspark,
I have actually made up a tutorial for how to finish the edges like my book. http://toblertales.blogspot.com/2014/10/sesame-street-quiet-book-page.html
Post a Comment