Saturday, June 6, 2015

Gramma Palmer

Mary Virgina Palmer
April 7th, 1923 - June 5th, 2015

On June 5th Jakob's Gramma passed away. While we are all sad, she was ready to go as her body had become a prison for her bright and happy soul. There was a sigh of relief and happiness as we heard the news of her passing. I could only imagine her being reunited once again with Grampa after all of the years. I can't imagine how much they missed one another. 

Gramma & Grampa Palmer on thier wedding day May 4th, 1945.

While I only got to spend time with Gramma on a few occasions I always found myself looking forward to her visits. She was so kind and happy. I never once heard her complain about anything. She was tender and sincere and you could tell how much she loved you by the twinkle in her eye. 

She was funny! One day Jakob and I came over to spend time with her on one of her visits to Vegas. We found her laying on the floor. We peeked in the room to make sure she hadn't fallen. Then Jakob asked "Gramma, what are you doing?" "She looked up from the floor with her arms and legs spread out like a star fish and said in a very straight voice; "I'm exercising." She was 80 something at the time. It was hilarious.


Another time she had called the house while Mom and Dad were out. I answered and starting talking to her. I don't like silence so I would ask her a question and when she wouldn't respond I would continue to babble. After 3 or so questions she finally said "I would like to answer, but you keep interrupting me." I laughed and apologized and then asked her the question again. It took a few seconds and she replied. I then asked her another question and I waited 3 long seconds... when she didn't reply I began to talk then she cut me off and said; "There you go again." Once I realized that she was older, had to process, and then respond it was a very slow but wonderful conversation. Thinking about it always makes me chuckle.

On this particular occasion (photo above), Mom, Dad, Ethnie and I had headed over to the neighbors pool. Gramma Palmer said that she would only dip her feet it which she did, at first. She was so cute. Then she figured that she could sit in the water, the next thing we know Dad Tobler had her all the way in, floating like a fish. She was always up for an adventure even in her old age. 

She had old and twisted hands. I loved them and she wasn't ashamed of them. They told a story of hard work and years of farming, baking cookies, sewing projects and canning foods. She always had a project going and was a busy lady. I asked her if we could take some four generation photos and she was more than happy to sit with Ethnie and pose for us. 

Hands down, this is my favorite!

 
 I also had the opportunity to have both side of my family together four generations deep. I love this picture and I will cherish it for a life time.

Thank you Gramma for your love, your dedication and you constant example of faith and service. I have never met such a genuine woman who raised 5 wonderful children. You left quite a legacy and you have set an extraordinary example of what it means to be a wife, mother and a daughter of our Father in Heaven. We love you and we miss you! I can't wait until we meet again!

1 comment:

Janet said...

Love the stories!!! Pictures are beautiful as well!