Monday, August 15, 2016

The Joys of Owning a House

 Mom and I went over to the new house to clean. It was FILTHY, like throw-up-in-your-mouth i-swear-this-woman-never-cleaned kind of filthy. Be besides all of that my mother used the potty and I noticed a pool of water on the floor. WHAT THE HECK?! Less that 24 hours in and we have issues. 

So I chat with Mom Tobler over the phone (since they just had toilet issues not too long ago) and we diagnose it as a broken seal. Then we decide that I can totally fix it myself (Jakob had left for Vegas for a week.) So getting my game face on I start to take apart this toilet. Step one... shut off the water. Water shut off valve to the toilet doesn't work. So we have to shut the entire house down. Then I start to disconnect the hose from the toilet, won't come off in addition the bolts have been rusted on and I wasn't strong enough to break them free. So now I'm a smidgen bit frustrated. This was AFTER we paid an extra $100 to have a plumbing inspection done on the house before we moved. So I put the toilet back together and call a plumber. May I just say how much I love Rod. He was hilarious. 

In the end we ended up pulling the main level toilet and replacing it entirely and we replaced the valve. The previous owners had just caulked around the base of the tank to temporarily stop the water running. (Which I feel the inspector should have caught. But that is besides the point.) Then the upstairs toilet was rocking so we wanted to get that looked at before we broke the wax seal and had septic water all over the place. Pulled that toilet and fixed a few things. Such as a fridge freezer hose which was attached to the toilet??? Just saying there were some very random things happening. There have been a few other things that have come up as surprises and we are settling in to being home owners. :)

1 comment:

Janet said...

Ugh, gotta love the little projects that pop up! But hopefully that will be it for a while!!!!