I'm sure some of you are thinking van Gorson? Who is that? It all started back in 2005, Jessica, Alanna (not pictured, she lives in Huston), Leanne and I became super close. I mean we have always had a family reunion every 2 years and spent 6 weeks together as a family, but this year was different, we bonded on a deeper level than ever before. We were no longer simply family but friends. Everyone would ask us if we were sisters, and we thought, why not? So we put our last names (van den Berge, Gorbahn, and Thompson) together to form the van Gorson sisters, just because when you're 15 years old, that's the cool thing to do!
We have shared so many fun times together. Most of my childhood memories are with us 4 girls. Extended family was a huge part of my life growing up. We would have a 6 week family reunion every two years and on the summers in between, my family would drive (yes, drive) down to California or Texas to once again be united as a family. If something significant would happen in our lives we'd call our relatives to let them know. Making the distance between us seem a little bit smaller.
To Jakob the bond as family is a little different. He is close with his brothers, the Tobler clan has Sunday night party lines (conference calls) so that they can keep in touch. But if you asked Jakob to name all of his cousins he couldn't do it. To him cousins are family that he saw for a week once a year at Grandma's house. They are family and he loves them but the bond isn't the same. Granted, both Toblers and Palmers (Mom Toblers side) have a few more relatives than the 12 grand kids in our family.
All of us girls were born within 18 months of each other. Growing up these girls became my best friends. I never had a sister to confide in and my cousins filled that gap.
I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to visit the girls. I missed them dearly! I'm so thankful for the bond that we share and I hope we can keep that tie strong throughout our lives. I love them and the members that were not there, we kept you close in our hearts. Thank you for being a constant example and support in my life.
2 comments:
6 week family reunion?!?!?!?!?! thats nuts! how does that even happen? how do people get that kind of time off?? I'm impressed!
Most of the time my Uncle's wouldn't come. My California Aunt works with her Husband in their chiropractic clinic. My aunt in Texas doesn't work and my mother is a teacher so she gets the summers off. Grandma would make the trip down with us. My dad would come for 2 weeks and then fly home in the middle.
Post a Comment