Friday, April 8, 2011

Wind Warning?

After a three week break Mom Tobler and I were itching for an adventure. This weeks destination: Calico Tanks. The sun was shining and despite the looming wind warning there was only a moderate breeze at my place (15 minutes from the canyon) so off we went.

ALERTS for Clark County

Severe weather alert : High Wind Warning

When I heard Mom say wind warning I had no idea this is what she meant. The wind was so powerful it blew me over a time or two. Literally blew me over. It was racing by my face so fast I couldn't breathe unless I turned around. Needless to say I wasn't planning on climbing out on any high ledges.

I'd have to say that this was both mine and Mom's favorite hike. It was beautiful and scenically diverse the entire way through. With every turn you felt as if this was your own private exploration. There were several stair cases (and we all know how I feel about rock staircases) it was just perfect!

One beautiful example of said staircase. So magical!

I still got stuck a couple of times. Mom would swear I'm part mountain goat, I would more or less simply call it stupidity. On second thought mountain goat sounds better. Thank heavens the drop was only 3 feet. :)

Despite all of the crazy wind blowing dust and sand into my contacts we made it and boy it was worth it. A stunning pond! Water in the desert = a miracle in itself.

Wind + water = cold wet water being blown into your face. Suddenly this beautiful miracle was on it's way to making my list of dislikes. Thankfully we found refuge from the wind in a cave. When it's nicer we'll hike to the tanks again and I'll take a better picture. The ones we got simply did not do this view justice.

We did find these random shoes. It makes you wonder what their story is.

OH! I think I figured it out. I'm sure mine will be right there next to those ones someday. Even with the wind this hike was stunning!! I can't wait to do it again in nicer weather!

1 comment:

Jenna Scott said...

Me and Kels did calico tanks with our dogs in January. That trail is really awesome after a snow storm! There was ice (that we tried to skate on) and pretty snow tucked into the rock :) Have you done turtlehead yet? I like that one too.