Monday, May 20, 2019

First Commissioned Cake

The baby I watch twice a week is turning one! Gosh, that was one fast year. Her Mama had asked if I could make her a birthday cake and a smash cake. I was terrified. I have made cakes, but they have all been for me. If something doesn't work out quite like I plan I can always shrug my shoulders and say oh well. But when it is for someone else... There is SO MUCH PRESSURE. All Ashlee told me was that it was a "You are my Sunshine" theme and the colors were yellow, gold and white. She also said that she wanted buttercream vs fondant. Not having a specific picture to follow was also SUPER tricky. 

My first attempt at rosettes. Frosting consistency, is really tricky for me... I ran out of frosting and made up a second batch. The first batch piped beautifully, the second was a gong show.

The cake. I went with SIMPLE! I had visions of gold leaf and gold drizzle and more of an ombre cake... it just wasn't working. So I decided to go simple and clean. I bought some flowers at Jo-Ann and I bobby pinned them to the cake. 

I feel like it all came together with the topper Ashlee bought. I didn't want to outshine the words. Ashlee said she loved it and the cake got several compliments at the party. Which is all I can ask for. Not my most beautiful or even technical cake, but she was happy. 

I'm not sure if I see cake making in my future. My nerves were shot and I think I walked away just breaking even on supplies. It was a fun adventure but I am SO glad that it's done!

No comments: