Wednesday, November 6, 2019

First 24 Hours

The view from my bed was stunning. If you stood up it was a parking lot but from my perspective I was in love with all of the colors!

His first 24 hours were SO BUSY! Someone was in our room every 20 minutes. I had planned on showering as soon as Jakob got there around 8:00, but there was always someone coming or going.

Redd just slept most of the day. They kept asking me how long it had been since he last ate, he was going on almost 6 hours! He was such a good baby. We had a scare around 11:00 his first night. I had just called the nurse to see if she could adjust the thermostat. It was boiling in our room. As soon as she got there Redd started coughing and choking. It was insane, he sort of locked up and just couldn't take a breath for awhile. The nurse was right there and she patted his back fro 25 minutes while he puked and puked.

She had to suction him out a few times and I won't lie, I was beyond glad she was there. He would calm down and start freaking out again and she was there just patting his back and making the world right. Most of the crud he was coughing up was dark brown and we couldn't figure out what was going on.
 Once he settled down, she went to ask another nurse. turns out he had taken a big gulp while he was being delivered and swallowed my blood. He couldn't process the blood so he puked and puked to get rid of it. he was fine after that, still puking but no longer choking and I was so relieved.

This was one of our nurses who was training. I was a bit upset when my nurse came in and asked if it was okay for us to have a student. I instantly said yes, and then she clarified that it was a male student and asked if that was still okay. How is he going to learn if people shut him out?!? I was boggled. So we became quick friends and he got to hold Redd, the very first baby he has ever held!! It was so cute!

 Papa Hensley was our first visitor and it was so so nice to see him.

 
 I jumped in a much needed shower while he and Jakob visited and Papa took some cute pictures of Redd. I love love love this one!

 
 
 Once Papa left Stephanie Bishop and Val Jarmillo came to visit and it was so wonderful to she them and watch them swoon over Redd. 

24 hours old. 

And now a few THOUSAND pictures. Sorry, not sorry.

Those little toes!!!!

I honestly can't even describe how much I love this sweet boy. I am in complete awe of how precious he is. I am so conflicted that about Redd being our last baby. I wanted to soak up every single second and keep it in my memory forever.

Once the kids were out of school, Daddy brought them to meet little Redd. They were all so gosh darn excited. Our very first family picture. Be still my heart. 

Sprout somehow caught a cold over night and was sick... joy. He just wanted to hold Redd so bad. He was so excited.

Gramma snapped a couple of pictures of Redd and I.

I love this one with the three kids in the back. Then it was time for the tiny humans to head home for dinner and bed. 

Later that night Redd had his first bath. He was not a fan.

He was INTO getting his hair washed though. He calmed right down and just enjoyed it. 

 That night was a slow night. The nurses came and took him to the nursery for a few hours at around 3 so I could sleep for a bit. He came back at around 6 and he just snuggled on my chest. It was just pure bliss. He smelled like heaven and I just wanted to stay there forever!!

The next morning I was discharged after his circumcision, and tongue tie revision. I can hardly believe we were headed home and I wasn't exactly sure I was ready to leave our little bubble in the hospital. I had a sad feeling as they wheeled me out of the maternity ward and I thought "this is the last time." And while I know there is good that comes from moving on, I feel like this is a difficult chapter to close. I am so excited to savor every single minute with this sweet babe.

No comments: