Saturday, December 24, 2011

T'was the Night Before Christmas

This year I was put in charge of Christmas Eve. I decided to bring a little Tobler (since I am one) back home to Canada. Jakob's family always makes graham cracker houses around the holidays. It is one of our favorite traditions, only most of the time Jakob doesn't even make a house; last year he made a boat.

It was funny to see how competitive people got right out of the gate. Katlynn called Jared out for copying her. She told him to get his own idea :).

Chris went for the intricate approach. That boy even made notches in his pretzels for windows!

This is Daddy's unimpressed face, he was attempting a silo and his poor roof kept caving in. I think he tried 5 different times. He is one persistent man, he eventually got it!

Our finished products. Jakob made a temple and I made a manger. The candy selection in Canada is a lot better HOWEVER it all comes with a fairly steep price tag! Jakob and I had to call it quits so we didn't cross over the $70 mark. :)

A close up of Jakob's temple. Did you notice the green gummie bear getting sacrificed at the top? Or the gummie bear riding a dinosour? Jakob is so creativity :)

Joseph, Mary and Baby Jesus. Jakob didn't like that Jesus looked like a boogie board. I quite loved my dinosours (sour dinosaurs) as animals. Jakob said they looked like rodents instead of barn animals. Pffft, I like my set up :) I am waiting for an image of Mom Toblers so we can compare, we had the same idea this year.

Jared and Katlynn were done within a matter of 15 minutes. They were speedy!! Katlynn called hers a shack and Jared had a decapitated gummie bear because he fell off the roof?? I don't know how exactly a fall would cause you to loose your gummie head but it happened. :)

Daddy with his windmill/ silo. It stayed together!!!! We had to tell Chris to wrap it up after 2 hours. They have a serious lack of color.... it's okay, they're rookies.

It's not very colorful but dang look at that thing! Windows, reindeer in the yard, graham cracker trees and log doors.

Daddy's windmill up close and personal! Look at all of that Icing!! We had a a lot of fun making houses! I think the van den Berge's may have just adopted a tradition.

It's a van den Berge tradition to get new P.J's on Christmas eve. I must admit... I seriously look forward to my new P.J's every year and these ones were no exception! So stinking cute! It was so nice having a sister to parade around with in P.J's every though she looked adorable and I looked huge!

Getting all 5 of us to look at the camera at the same time is a little bit of a challenge. Chris was our lone wolf, but that's okay because he's planning on serving a mission pretty soon. It was a fun filled Christmas eve!

2 comments:

The Mom Tobler said...

No Tobler Graham Cracker event this year...so sad. Timing was just wrong.

I love Chris's...the lack of color adds to the simplicity. It was artsy.

Jenna Scott said...

We get pj's in my family too, it's my favorite. This year my mom got me the best yoga "pj" pants ever!