Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Our Nashville Home

 Here we go the big unveil. We are renting a 1940's 2 bedroom, 1 bath 884 sq/ft home. It is tiny! It feels like a little cottage to me and I am totally falling in love with it!

 This is our porch and the door that we come in and out of. I love the stone. There are homes in the neighborhood that are brick and stone and they make my heart swoon. 

 Our back yard is BIG and almost entirely shaded by trees. It is beautiful. The tree in back right hand corner is huge!! E likes to play chase around it because Mama and Daddy can hide behind it and not be seen. 

 Like it said, I love the stone. Only problem with the yard is the mosquitoes. You go outside for 5 minutes and you are covered in bites. It makes me sad that we finally have a place for the kids to play and they can't enjoy it because of the bugs. Another thing that's new in Nashville is the bugs!!! Spiders, Camel grasshoppers, ants, bugs! Everywhere! It's been an adjustment for sure! Anyways,  hopefully once it cools down a bit we will get in a lot more outside time!

 The back side of our house. Those white doors open up into our basement/ crawl space. 

 When you first walk in through the patio you walk into the kitchen. I love this little rolling cart! We roll it next to the stove when we're cooking for additional counter space and it has cupboard doors that close to keep this kiddos out of it. It's taken some adjustment but I'm liking the pot rack more and more. Thanks Mama!

 
 Next to the door this is this random door which is a tiny cupboard that is only 4 ish inches deep... if that. We were perplexed as what to do with it, the Mom Tobler had the BRILLIANT idea to make it into a spice rack.

May I just say how much I {LOVE} this!! Mom created it 100% Palmer style with cardboard and hot glue. It is perfect. She even made a place to put the extra shopping bags. I may just have to make a cupboard like this is my future forever home! Thank you Mom Tobler!!

 When we first moved in the fridge was where the rolling cart is... in the middle of the floor. We moved it by the stove and it really opened the kitchen up.

 Our kitchen. 4 cupboard and two drawers. We had to buy a microwave. It's tiny but I really think that we've made the most out of the space that we have. I love the new appliances. The stove is electric and there is no garbarator but I'm adjusting well to not having those things.

 Here we are from the front door. 

 To the left we have the kitchen and dinning room. I didn't capture it but the wall closest to us is a beautiful arch. It really adds a lot of class. 

 The living room. Hard wood floors throughout the house. This is not how I wanted to arrange the room but the way the wiring for the T.V was setup, there was no other way. It works :)

 In the hallway there is an attic access. The attic is the size of the house. It is partly finished with a strip of hardwood down the middle and insulation sticking up on both sides. The roof is not insulated which makes it hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It would be a nice little nook or possibly and get away guest room but since it's not, it is a place to store empty moving boxes. 

 We have a big ugly grate in the middle of the floor which Duke really hates to crawl on. Now that we've been here a few weeks, I hardly notice it. 

 To the right of the hall is the master bedroom which we put the kids in. 

 The closet is a decent size for the size of the house.

 The view from the kids room. The best thing we've ever gotten... a swing!!! E loves it!

 Our bathroom. Good sized tub, sink with no counter top! Say what!? At first this totally bothered me but now I really like it. There is a good sized closet in the bathroom with shelving. When I get ready I just open the door and use the shelf to get ready. It forces me to keep the counter clear of junk!

 On the left hand side of the hall is our room/ office.

  The reason why we took the smaller room is because of that right hand door. 

It opens up into our basement/ dungeon/ crawlspace.

 This is our saving grace!!! We have an amazing amount of storage down here and we have a washer/dryer which is pretty uncommon in Nashville. 

 It has 6 foot beams and in some places Jakob can stand up straight. Some pipes hang down which I have to duck under which I why I call it a glorified crawlspace. I love being able to have everything still close by but out of the way. I really do like our house, it took sometime but it's growing on me. I know that 9 months is going to fly by which is why I'm treating it like a vacation home and not really decorating. So far I am loving the weather. The humidity isn't as bad as I anticipated. It's a bit chilly when it rains and I often find myself in long sleeves or a sweater (especially while my Mom is here since she's always so warm.) I'm not so fond of driving here, the lights are all messed up and too close together but people actually let you in when you have your blinker on. Everyone is friendly and says hello or waves. Neighbors always say hello. I am anxious to explore the city since all we've seen is Costco, Wal-Mart and Target. Oh and I {love} the fireflies!!! So far Nashville is great.

4 comments:

The Mom Tobler said...

I love your little cottage...just needs it's red door. I love the swing, the hall is a great place for it. Enjoy...you are going to make some very happy memories there.

Unknown said...

How sweet! You are only going to be there nine months? Where will you be after that?

Rach and Clark said...

A basement with a washer/dryer....all I ever dream about. And a good place to send the kids for time out?? ;)

Janet said...

Love your house Steph! Gramma is right you will make sweet memories there. Awesome spice closet Gramma!